Saturday 22 August 2009

Louis XIV : le retour

He's back! The equestrian statue of King Louis the 14th is back in front of the palace. It had vanished to undergo major restoration work. When king Louis-Philippe decided Versailles palace would become a museum, he commissioned the statue from Louis-Messidor Petitot and Pierre Cartellier. It was erected in 1836. Actually, the king has been back since April (yes I am blushing ever so slightly, yes I know, four months ago) though not exactly at the same spot as before, but there was still some scaffolding around the statue and then I didn't get round to stop nearby.
------------------------------
La statue équestre de Louis XIV, oeuvre de Louis-Messidor Petitot et Pierre Cartellier, a été installée en 1836 après que Louis-Philippe ait décidé de faire de Versailles le "musée à toutes les gloires de la France". Elle est de retour après une absence prolongée pour cause de restauration. A vrai dire, la statue se trouve sur la place d'Armes depuis avril (oui je rougis légèrement, oui je sais ça fait 4 mois), mais elle est longtemps restée entourée d'échafaudages et de plus, je n'avais pas eu l'occasion de m'arrêter à proximité.

15 comments:

BaysideLife said...

Welcome back to Louis XIV! Love the detail in the stirrup.

VP said...

Perfect composition, the details are stunning.

tapirgal said...

I don't think we can expect you to comment on every event as it happens . . . then you would be a newspaper! I so much enjoy my visit to see whatever it is that caught you attention that day. It's a calmer pace than the news :)

Karen said...

Wonderful. I love the horse's face and Louis's isn't bad either. I've finished one book about him and about to start another. I have the big one about his garden and gardner, too. Too big to finish before I go and way too heavy to take with me. I'll probably enjoy it more after seeing Versaille.

James said...

Cool shot!

akarui said...

Les statues aussi ont besoin de restauration? je pensais qu'un simple coup de Karsher (eau sous pression) etait suffisant. Une belle statue.
Bon weekend!

Clueless in Boston said...

Great looking statue and composition.

Hilda said...

I love your angle here! The details are stunning — you can even see the veins on the horse's leg!

Lee Spangler said...

What message is he carrying? Liberte.....?

Anonymous said...

This is a nice shot of the statue. What did the restoration work consist of?

I have the issue of "breast feeding" on my main blog today Pick a Peck of Pixels

crocrodyl said...

Excellent capture on the blue-white sky:)

Small City Scenes said...

YAY! He's back, galloping up on his mighty steed.
Nice angle shot. MB

Anonymous said...

Wonder why it wasn't returned to exactly the same spot? Such an interesting detail!

Unknown said...

I really like the way you've captured Louis XIV! Great angle and framing too.

EG CameraGirl said...

Well, after so many years I guess the statue deserved a little down time. Very nice shot! Love the angle you chose to take this photo from.