Wednesday 17 July 2013

Une partie ?

There you go! Following yesterday's post of the former royal tennis court, here's what a palm game would have looked like, complete with original raquet and ball! It was called 'palm game' because it was played with the palm of the hand before raquets started being used in the early 1600s. The game originated in France. Below, a picture of the outside of the royal tennis court. Very difficult to photograph! As you can see, the wall is used for educational purposes.

Et voilà ! Après le billet d'hier sur la salle, voici à quoi aurait ressemblé le jeu de paume, avec raquette et balle d'origine ! Le sport s'appelait jeu de paume puisqu'il se jouait avec la paume de la main avant l'apparition des raquettes au tout début du XVIIè siècle. Ci-dessous, une photo de l'extérieur de la salle du jeu de paume, qui s'avère être très difficile à photographier !

16 comments:

Olivier said...

la tenue etait classe, surtout sur la tete ;) pas beaucoup de recul, c'est toujours la galere pour faire des photos

Revrunner said...

Hmm. Racquet ball in a wig, coat, and knee breeches. I think I'd take up a less vigorous sport. :-)

Sylvia K said...

Amazing!! I think I'd have taken up a less vigorous sport, too!! Interesting posts, Ciel, I've really enjoyed them -- the info and the pics! Hope your week is going well?!

Jack said...

I think I would be sweating offensively if I had to play this game in a wig and heavy clothes!

Halcyon said...

I think it would have been pretty difficult with those tiny rackets. Nothing like today's tennis! :)

Lowell said...

You done good! And I learn so much from your posts! Those wee rackets remind me of a game that is very popular in plus 55 communities - called Pickleball, and it involves small rackets and small ping-pong type balls. Supposedly it is easier on the bodies of us elderly folks! :)

Randy said...

I am always up for learning a new game but not with a wig.

Anonymous said...

I love the deep, rich colours. The players look very elegant and dapper!

Tanya Breese said...

such a tiny raquet, i'd never be able to hit the ball!

Birdman said...

I bet that wall is very interesting.

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

The clothes for playing this game look like they make about as much sense as the long Victorian swim suits.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

It just looked so much more 'genteel' back then Ciel, none of that puffing and grunting going on there I bet. Thanks for showing, tres interesting to see.

VP said...

Now I understand your comment to Jack about the diver...

Small City Scenes said...

Oh so elegant! Thanks, though for the explanation.

BTW: I didn't zoom in. Just sitting on the patio and the flowers are all around and so are the birds. You'll see. MB

EG CameraGirl said...

Sounds like a difficult game to play when players used only the palms of their hands. And they ,ust have gotten very hot wearing all those clothes.

Wayne said...

The racket is neat, imagine how difficult it must have been to fabricate back in the 1600's.