Saturday 14 November 2015

Le désherbage des ouvrages

Désherbage des ouvrages Versailles 2015
Oh gosh, VDP is a week late in showing you these pictures. Once a year, at the town hall, the city's nine public libraries hold a sale of books they no longer need, or have too many of. VDP loves how the sale is called: 'the books weeding' They go for the ridiculous price of an euro (approximately 1.10 $ per book for you Americans, or 72p per book for you Brits), which is lowered to 50 cents in the last hour, which is when VDP went. Ooooh, she would have loved to buy that C. J. Box book but eeek, not in French!

Update 1:00 AM CET after the shootings in Paris: VDP is fine as is Vreni from Vienna Daily Photo who is currently in Paris. Going to try and catch some sleep...

Ouh là, VDP a une semaine de retard avec ces photos. Tous les ans, les bibliothèques municipales "désherbent" leurs ouvrages, vendus au prix ridicule d'un euro par livre, et même 50 centimes dans la dernière heure... VDP aurait adoré acheter le bouquin de C. J. Box s'il avait été en anglais !
Désherbage des ouvrages Versailles 2015 C.J. Box
Désherbage des ouvrages Versailles 2015
Désherbage des ouvrages Versailles 2015
For three euros, VDP did rather well with books in French and German!

Pour trois euros, VDP s'est assez bien débrouillée...
Désherbage des ouvrages Versailles 2015

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Horrified by tonight's events in beautiful Paris, take great care and stay safe...

Revrunner said...

Ach! $1.10. Rats! I think I'll wait until either the exchange rate improves or plane fares improve. :-)

RedPat said...

I'm glad you are safe - I have been thinking of you tonight.

Lowell said...

Our libraries hold sales on occasion and you can get some great buys but I've got too many books unread on my shelves as it is.

So sorry to hear about the violence in Paris. It's sickening and disheartening but I'm glad to hear that you are OK.

Stay safe!

VP said...

I won't take other paper books even if they were free, but this is a good thing to do. Glad you are safe, away from this mess...

mia more said...

You are safe, but more than 120 persons lost their life and a great number were seriously injured, so my thought go to all these victims and to the people of Paris.

mia more said...

You are safe, but more than 120 persons lost their life and a great number were seriously injured, so my thought go to all these victims and to the people of Paris.

La cachette à Josette said...

à l'entrée de ma galerie marchande un "coin lecture" a été installé on peut prendre les livres et en apporter d'autres...

Anonymous said...

My kind of event... stay fine.

Sharon said...

I would have enjoyed this event.
My heart goes out to the citizens of France today!

EG CameraGirl said...

So glad you are safe, Ciel. Of course I thought of you when I heard about the horrendous Paris bombings. On a happier note, I LOVE book sales like this and have bought quite a few myself. My library also takes donations for used-book sales so I tend to read them and then return them the next year (unless it's a book I cannot part with, that is.)

Unknown said...

What a setting for this very cool sale!

Glad we managed to 'talk' yesterday while the horror was still taking place.

William Kendall said...

Such a beautiful setting for books. Our libraries tend to do the same thing.

Thinking of Paris today....

LuiZ FernandoS said...

Quite a peculiar classification system they use there!

Thérèse said...

Food for the mind.