Thursday 15 October 2015

La façade de Notre-Dame des Armées

Chapelle Notre-Dame des Armées Versailles Façade
To this day, Versailles is traditionally a military city which isn't surprising considering its royal history. This rather austere looking church is Our Lady of the Armies chapel which is located unobtrusively in a small street next to the Gendarmes building, behind the town hall. It was built in 1877 by Frantz Blondel, Versaillais born architect, for the Eudists and first served as a hostel for soldiers. We'll go inside tomorrow if you don't mind!

Versailles est une ville de tradition militaire, ce qui n'est pas surprenant considérant son histoire royale. Cette façade assez austère est celle de la chapelle Notre-Dame des Armées, située derrière l'hôtel des Gendarmes près de la mairie. Elle fut construite en 1877 par le versaillais Frantz Blondel sous la direction des pères Eudistes et servit initialement de foyer du soldat. Demain nous pénétrerons dans le lieu !
Chapelle Notre-Dame des Armées Versailles Vierge Façade

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the exterior, austere but with a subtle presence, I look forward to seeing the interior...

William Kendall said...

I like it. It's not over the top. I look forward to what you've got in store for the next post.

Revrunner said...

Let's go! :-)

Lowell said...

I really like this shot! And the church. It shows its age but it's not decrepit. And it's really nice against that muted blue sky.

RedPat said...

I didn't know there was an Our Lady of the Armies. I like the look of the church, Ciel.

Lois said...

It is very pretty! I definitely won't mind going inside tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Yes, an elegantly simple exterior. I'm suspecting the interior may be a little more elaborate though?!

La cachette à Josette said...

Elle est bien cachée dans cette impasse

EG CameraGirl said...

I like the simple lines. But I'm curious about Our Lady of the Armies. REALLY!!?

VP said...

This is my first 'Our Lady of the Armies'...

Birdman said...

Love to venture insde churches via blogs. 'Bout the only way I really see them these days. Pray for me.

Wayne said...

I don't mind at all, in fact, I can't wait. It's a simply elegant building, love that door.

Sharon said...

I'd love to take a peek inside!

Jack said...

This is a simple one, isn't it?