Monday, 28 July 2014

Trad

Coiffe Quimper Bonnet Breton costume
It was a lovely and far too short week in Quimper where as usual at this time of the year, VDP got her fix of traditional Breton culture during the 91st annual Cornouaille Festival! Aren't they pretty?

Ce fut une semaine belle et bien trop courte à Quimper où comme d'habitude à cette époque de l'année, VDP a fait le plein de tradi breton pendant le 91è Festival de Cornouaille ! Elles ne sont pas superbes ?
Coiffe Quimper Bonnet Breton costume
Coiffe Quimper Bonnet Breton costume
This below is part of the famous Quimper pipe band (Bagad Kemper), multiple French champion, quite literally the crème de la crème! If you don't mind bagpipes and bombards, you can listen to them by clicking here where they play with Red Cardell, a local rock group (or here in competition earlier this year for some really tradish Breton stuff, particularly at 7:55 minutes)! VDP cannot even remember for how long she has loved this music!

Ci-dessous, quelques membres du Bagad Kemper. Ceux d'entre vous, intrépides, qui ne craignent pas pour leurs oreilles, peuvent l'écouter par ici jouant avec Red Cardell (ou par là en compétition à Brest lors de la première manche du championnat des Bagadoù 2014 pour du vraiment tradi breton, surtout à la 7:55è minute).
Bagad Kemper Quimper Cornouaille 2014
Bagad Kemper Quimper Cornouaille 2014

28 comments:

Randy said...

Wonderful photos. Welcome back.

Sylvia K said...

Wonderful photos indeed!! What fun!!

Sylvia K said...

Oh, and I love the video!! My oldest son is a drummer among other things and I'm going to send this one to him! Thanks, Ciel1

Sunnybrook Farm said...

Looks like a good day for photos, nice light and bright colors. Fun time.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful shots. The traditional clothing is so unlike what I'm used to seeing, but quite colourful.

Wayne (Woody), whatever said...

Thanks for that link, the video is AWESOME. The festival looks like a blast!!

Sharon Anck said...

Beautiful young girls and so beautifully dressed. I loved listening to the music. Sounds like you had a great time.

Jack said...

It looks like a wonderful festival, Ciel. Portraits! From you!

Bob Crowe said...

Great pictures. Nice that they have a link to their past. In America, most people are not concerned about the past, only their ambitions for the future.

Bob Crowe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cezar and Léia said...

Très belles photos!

Dave said...

I will always have fond memories of Quimper, of family holidays and cycling.

Small City Scenes said...

Lovely shots. Lovely girls with sweet bonnets. It's great.

We fished for Salmon and some bottom fish. Afterwards we found out the almanac said that week would not be good for fishing and it was right. The Ocean was extremely rough I was so sore from from the bouncy ride. We did have to turn back because Small craft warnings were being observed.
We had a good time until I hurt myself---I am slowly healing---3 months to 6 months but I have been a fast healer. Course I was younger too. LOL
So welcome back and I hope you are healing too.
MB

Small City Scenes said...

I posted some pics on my blog on July 19th. go look. MB

Geoff Wilkinson said...

Welcome back, love the 3rd picture down of the two young ladies.

Stuart said...

I was lucky enough to see the festival a few years ago and it was wonderful. So much music, food, costumes, dancing. Your photos bring back so many memories.

Halcyon said...

Wonderful photos, Ciel! It takes me back to the many summers I spent in Finistere. I hope to get back one day...

Olivier said...

beau festival , ils sont tous très mignons avec leurs costumes.
T'inquiete les velos c'est pour bientot ;)

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

What great photos! Sounds like a great vacation!

Lowell said...

My goodness, the Breton folks do know how to hold a party. All dressed up and everything. Don't see that too often anymore.

Looks like great fun, though I'd pass on the bagpipes. :)

Hope you had a good time!

EG CameraGirl said...

OH! What a wonderful festival. I like bagpipe music so I would feel comfortable there. ;) Is this the part of France you come from originally?

Michelle said...

Beautiful young ladies!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Welcome back Ciel. I loooooved the music link, j'adore the bagpipes, being a Scot and all :) Tres pretty costumes and such a delightful portrait shot, nice work!

VP said...

A very nice and warm reportage: I can see why you are fond of this festival!

Loree said...

I adore bag-pipes. I used to think that only the Scots played them but I think that their use was quite wide-spread in medieval Europe. BTW, I did not know you lived in London as a child.

cieldequimper said...

@ Wayne: I saw Red Cardell and Bagad Kemper in concert two years ago, yes, it was a blast, I love them!

James said...

I'm jealous but I enjoyed your photos and the videos in the link.

Karl Demetz said...

Great pictures of this wonderful festival!
(Muss ich mir merken).